- We had a strong turnout for Fall Family Night. Hopefully parents took away some useful ideas and enjoyed pizza with their children.
- Students have been busy working on their research projects. The projects involve collecting research, organizing, writing, and revising to create the final project. Various text features such as; maps, bold words, diagrams, pictures, labels, table of contents, and a glossary could be used to further convey the information.
- In math we continue to work on combining and comparing double digit numbers. Students are exploring operation strategies as they defend their work.
- Our Second 9-week Math Bling is to correctly solve 20 subtraction problems within 20 in 2 minutes or less.
- Our Second 9-week Reading Bling is to meet student’s individual AR Goal with tests at a rate of 80% accuracy. See below for our AR Goals & Rewards. December 13, 2019 is the final day to meet AR Goals.
- Please keep an extra set of clothes in your child’s backpack in the event that they need to change due to unexpected events such as a spill, bloody nose, or a tear.
Goals & Testing: Second grade students are expected to read books and take available AR comprehension tests throughout the year. Students have access to a variety of books in the classroom, library, on EPIC, and various books we read in class that have AR tests. If we have read, worked with, and discussed a book in class, students are often expected to take the AR test and a comprehension score is taken. Students have several opportunities to take tests in class. They can take a test most mornings upon arriving to class and they have opportunities at certain times during the day. Students need an average comprehension score of 80% on tests, as well as reaching their numeric goal. Students can take tests on books they have read at home if there is a corresponding test. Students just need to know the author and title to find an AR test. To see if a book your child is reading has an AR test go to arbookfinder.com.
AR Goals will be set as follows;
- T2-T3 students’ goals will be set using the Renaissance AR Goal Calculator with students reading 15 minutes per day.
- All other students’ goals will be set using the Renaissance AR Goal Calculator with students reading 20 minutes per day.
- All students must have an accuracy of at least 80%
- Meet AR Goal- Bling and AR Treat & Party
- Double AR Goal- Bling, AR Treat & Party, Spotlight, and they will sit at the VIP table during lunch one day during the last week of the term (Maybe we could get Pizza if there is money available)
- Triple AR Goal- Bling, AR Treat & Party, Spotlight, sit at the VIP table, and Principal for the Announcements or other determined options
AES Special's Rotation Schedule: